Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Circus


So as most of you know 08/08/08 was the grand opening of The Olympics in China, Beijing. We walked, head up into the stadium and it was mesmerising though a tad little sweaty!

We were lucky; we were number 152 to walk in! This meant we had seats in another stadium next to this one and got to leave the village about an hour later than most. And guess who was sitting right in front of us?! well? Yep, it was Ethiopia.. so of course I walk over there and ask for a picture. Also got asked ot go to dinner as there was supposedly a good Ethiopian restaurnat here.. after the games of course, and the parents were welcome to join. Ha! The coincidence... This one's for you Hanna!

I also found Lesotho, recognised them by their hats from a little distance, so as we approached I figured I'd get a pictue for Iris there too! (Yeah I admit, I like africans and their dresses are way more fun to look at then all the european stuff!)

We did look quite handsome too! I must say the suits make everyone look very professional! I swear if anyone of my team tried to sell my a house that evening I probably would have bought it ;) However the smartness didn't last as long as it should have. As I had predicted the suits were a little too warm for this climate and being light grey this was not exactly a very big success! I think by not jumping around the entire day beside myself with excitement I spared myself from enormous embarresment but not everyone was this lucky.

By participating in the walking, we didn' t really end up seeing anyhting of the acts at all, though we got to see some flashes in between countries being called out on a big screen in the other arena. We did see the end, and the lighting of the Olympic Flame and it was really quite inpressive! Home at 2:30ish and really tired from standing up and having a little too little too drink, everyone ran through the shower and crashed... Long day, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss it!

Next up: our first game against Hungary the 11th!!

Quote: "...your beautiful smiling face just flashed across the screen really fast." -Amy Logan
Music: Olympic Anthem

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi meike.
we saw you!!!!
were going to try to watch your game against hungary.
one girl bit me once from hungary.
get her.
GO MEIKE! woop woop:)
p.s. way to get in touch with your africana roots (this would be the prime time to find a mate)
love kelly
and
maxie

8/10/2008 11:51 am  
Blogger Tina said...

Hey Meike!

Ik zat vrijdag op het werk de opening te kijken :) En ik dacht dat ik je zag binnenlopen, liep je vlak achter de vlag? Echt super gaaf!

Vanochtend de wedstrijd tegen Hongarije gekeken, jammer dat het net niet is gelukt! Maar ik wens jullie voor de komende wedstrijd heel veel geluk! Gaat vast lukken!

Liefs en veel plezier in Beijing!
Tina :)

8/11/2008 12:38 pm  
Blogger randomfaceinthecrowd said...

Meike!

I am so excited for you! Congrats!

Liz from Hawaii!

8/11/2008 7:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home