Saturday, July 28, 2007

Dawn

This seems to be one of those nights you kinda just want to stay up till dawn, maybe inpired by my painting and the accompanying quote, but still.. it is one of those productive nights. After a whole day of not doing anything and hanging on my friends cauch watching movies (40 year old vergin=bad! don't watch it= a waste of time!) and eating a marvellous dinner cooked up by my dad, I wandered off to my room (which I finally cleaned and vacuumed) and sat myself down. I think the emptyness helped starting a new project, it just flowed out.. after some brainstorming (consisting of not more then 5 lines per sketch and a couple of words) yesterday I just started painting.. no sketch, no controll, no nothing..
I knew this illustration friday thing was going to be good for something! It gives you deadlines! So... I watched the bats pass my window as dusk set in, had my heart go out to a coupe of friends, and then my mind set of to God knows where.

The moon has so much magic, is such a fascination, a guiding light and well; the origin of so much
myth and legend I didn't at first know exactly how to show my association with the moon. It has always been a sign of femininity and creativity... a full moon is there for me to stare at, to charge me with creative energy and after a little thought bits and pieces of this quote started coming back to me. One that I associate with myself and so the one that inspired my picture...

Quote: "A dreamer is one who can find his was by moonlight, and his only punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde


Last week we had a rather intesnive training week, but it was filled with good teambuilding activities like cycling, going out for dinner and sailing!!!! I think the sailing very muchy contributed to being creative.. honoustly there are few things that go above and beyond straining a ship against the wind, beaing beaten by the wind and flying over the water. Soooo good!

Music: Dire Straits, Sultans of Swing

8 Comments:

Blogger lian said...

haha..thanks your words.
there's a love and beautiful story about a lady living in the moon with rabbit in around China and Japan.
well..I'm from HongKong, China.
Happy to join this function♪Keep drawing!

7/29/2007 11:53 am  
Blogger Jane said...

I can connect with what you say about emptyness, I find that too.
Beautiful illo.

7/29/2007 5:03 pm  
Blogger biteyourowntail said...

Beautifully done. Enjoyed your words too.

7/30/2007 9:42 am  
Blogger janie said...

Lovely delicate watercolour and a great quote too.

7/30/2007 9:55 pm  
Blogger Iris said...

more more more!!!!
Love the painting, though i'll stick with the dramatic previous one on my desktop:-)
Hope life is treating you well! See ya in a few weeks!
toedeloo
x

7/31/2007 3:52 pm  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Lovely watercolor, great color and detail!

7/31/2007 8:42 pm  
Blogger Emily said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my site. We, of course think she is quite beautiful as well. I am hoping I have a chance to do more things like the moon fairy with her.

Your piece is gorgeous. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the face was the green man. It is a great concept!

8/01/2007 5:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The words hits a spot in my heart...and the painting is so surreal-like.
We'll like to invite you to submit your work to Artmakr Weekend - a themed online art exhibit.

This is the first week, and out theme is, "An invitation". As part of the invitation we've already posted a link to one of your artworks that we really like, at http://artmakrweekend.com.

See if you can find it =)

We'll refresh our themes every weekend. We look forward to seeing you again there.

While you're there leave a comment or 2 to encourage the other artist =)

Have a good one!

Best Regards,
Alvin
www.artmakrweekend.com

8/08/2007 1:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home