Thursday, September 27, 2007

Technocratie

So I learned a new word. At least I think I did but as it was also explained to me that this word kind of lost it's meaning in recent times I'm not sure how much meaning I should ascribe it and so I wonder did I really learn it seeing as I canlt ascribe it much meaning?!

But no worries, I really didn't log in here to tell you about that. I wanted to tell you about the discussion resulting from that: How much do we depend on technology and, even more inmportantly, could we do without.

The issue was raised that we use so much technology that it doesn't even come to mind that we use it to cook our food and keep us warm and help us write. However, I figured I would manage without all that and figured I could always eat cold food or make a fire in the back yard. So in the end I happily stepped in my car and drove to practice feeling quite snug in my newly gained knowledge and theories.

Little did I know then that later that night I would be pushing my car off of the middle of an intersection and call the automobile service to come and fiz my car. Little did I know that I wouldn't make it home just yet and would have to call them yet again because while driving 120k/h on the highway my lights would fail and my battery would die on me while my engine swiched itself off...

I was home at 2am...

...and not so smug anymore.

Music: Ben Harper, Suzie Blue
Quote: "Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -Putt's Law

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger DvB said...

Awwwww

This story made me smile though :) Soooo typical :D

9/28/2007 9:44 pm  
Blogger Jon said...

Sorry about your car troubles, but it does make for an ironically amusing story.

9/29/2007 1:15 am  
Blogger Brittany said...

sounds like a story that i would have. seriously :)

10/03/2007 9:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, and the english word for it is technocracy :)
And yes I do think we could survive on food we had cooked on a fire in the back yard, but can you imagine how many days we would have to walk to finally recieve ( or give :)) some victoria's secret underwear...
Your entry on my blog made it clear :) At least the underwear has seen the automobile service now as well :)
Cheers.

10/19/2007 2:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home