Saturday, July 01, 2006

-If-

I came up coughing and squeaking in desperate need of air. My nose and my eyes were full of salt water and my snorkel and goggles were hanging around my neck.
I wondered how I had lost hold of reality so easily but then; dreams seem realistic and reality seems unreal sometimes, so why not?

I had done it several times, I have one very vivid memory where I was under water holding my breath, green in front off my eyes and feeling the approaching lack of oxygen. I’m not sure why it never occurred to me to simply swim up towards the surface, but it never did.
My head felt like it was about to explode, colours started to change from green to purple and red and eventually there was nothing I could do but open my mouth to let the air in. I fully well knew I was going to drown.
I didn’t get a rush of fresh air. Instead, I felt I was just breathing normally, a calm sort of breathing.
I realised I must somehow be extracting the oxygen from the water.

It is strange the thoughts you have when dreaming

I had the time to look around and instead of just green, I could now see the water was light green. Light green because I saw the surface and the light coming down from it. I could see an arch of coral, rock? And I’m sure I saw the silhouette of a dolphin against the light up there somewhere. It was only a short experience and of course I left this underwater world by the time I started thinking I wanted to explore this place, this underwater arena in which I seemed suspended.

My inability to hold onto dreams or turn over to finish them is becoming increasingly frustrating.

The feeling of suffocation was always there, however the more often it happened the less afraid I became to breathe. Lately I even decide to try it before I reach the moment of no return. I remember that I can breathe.

So when I entered the water and graciously took a couple of strokes, letting the momentum carry me forward, smooth and elegant like the turtle swimming next to me, my lungs burning trying to prolong the moment, I realised I should probably just breathe.

I finally remembered.

Music: Turn, turn, turn. The byrds
Quote: "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home