Friday, December 28, 2007

Anton Pieck

So this is a simple, but to me very important, piece of information:

Anton Pieck was a great artist and one that I have on many occasions been inspired by Probably starting with the illustrations in the fairytale books from the brothers Grimm that triggered my imagination from an early age and those in a book of piano music by Shubert that my mom played from.

Little did I know at that time that he was also a family friend. MY Grandma's father was a publisher and went on cycling holidays with the man. He also published the book of music by shubert with Anton Pieck's drawings. He also drew four brithcards, one for my father and all of the following siblings which used to hang on my grandma's wall and now all have found their way to their own homes.

He became famous for his lithographs and graphic art. These detailed pieces of work, inspired by what seems to be the past and the fantastic, are hanging on my own wall. I walk by them and sometimes even forget to look taking it all in a stride.

Of course I have thought of this before, but today I thought I needed to make the world (I am a little concieted to think I eveyone reads my insignificant little blog but you gotta start somewhere) concious of yet another great artist.
So I hope you enjoyed this very rare piece. There are more samples of his work to be found HERE and maybe you will want to buy a book of fairytales now.

Quote: "Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers." -Hans Christian Andersen
Music: Die Forelle, Shubert

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder what your friends children will think of you in years to come!

12/29/2007 11:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So who gave you permission to put me in my bare ass on your blog?

By the way, your link does not work (on my computer).

Daddy

1/10/2008 12:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home