Wednesday, August 16, 2006

San Francisco 11pm Local Time

So yeah.. I figured I would get a hotel room for the night but as I didn’t manage to keep my eyes open on the last flight I’m really awake right now. So I guess I’ll keep my-self occupied for a while and well, aint you lucky, you get to enjoy my boredom.

I really like San Francisco Airport, it’s one of the better ones, BY DAY! The last flight just arrived; I’m pretty sure they came from Honolulu if I look at their clothing and attitude. They just look very Aloha. So except for the staring people walking past me and two cleaning ladies the airport is deserted. All the shops and even food stalls have just closed. Not before I got myself a Grande Tao Tea, Green Ginger of course, which looked delicious, (after not being allowed drinks on the plain and not getting enough liquid in me), but tasted like soap. At least I know which tea not to take next time.

I’ve now armed myself with a bottle of water (I can have one as long as I’m on the airport) and a couple of muesli buns I brought from home and am sitting here waiting for time to pass.

Every so many minutes the loudspeaker clicks on and a slightly too loud ladies voice tells me I have to report unattended bags by calling 911 on the nearest phone, closely followed by another female voice almost to soft to hear that WE are in a state of war and that security measures have been moved up to orange which means that we are now not allowed any liquids aboard… *sigh*

At Chicago I was happily entertained by this guy I met named Paul. Actually it was a happenstance meeting caused by a little girl which traveled by herself.. in Dutch we call someone like that: een UMmetje.. or, an unaccompanied minor. She was really young and crying and obviously very unhappy so I offered to sit next to her instead of the man who just read his newspaper and didn’t seem to be bothered by the fact that this little human being was so distraught. Which was a good plan for the time being… however she was looking for her friends.. people she had met on the other flight, and when they finally showed they ended up sitting with her and I got one of their seats. Well done! Emergency exit so big I could stretch my legs entirely.. next to Paul.. nice to meet you.. oh you’re Dutch too?!

Sometimes you meet people that just seem to be interested in the same lines of thought and with whom you can just about put the whole world under a loop. Fun and interesting. He is a doctor at the AMC in Amsterdam and was off to do his PhD. I guess psychology is something that is interesting in his line if work as well and the research he was doing on fainting made him interested in waterpolo.. well as some of you know once you start me on waterpolo you got me going so that was that..

In Chicago we figured we’d go find some dinner as he had a 5 hour lay over and I had 7 :S so we went to find the food court. Once found, the healthiest thing were wraps (apart from the McDonald salads that is). WOW I miss the food at home already! We had earlier discussed that in America all the food starts tasting the same which we then proved by getting confused about whose wrap was whose because eI had tuna and he had chicken..

After saying good bye I went for a run around the Arcade (another section in Chicago) and another round and another one… bought an orange for 1,20 found some coffee which was drinkable and had a gevulde koek. Wrote one of my friends a really long letter and went though her wedding pictures from last year. You definitely get some funny looks if you are stupidly smiling at your computer screen and give an occasional chuckle.

The next flight was pretty much spent in silence.

Okay I’m boring you.. if you made it till here good for you! I’ll bugger off now! I’ll be back with on a regular basis in Hawaii! See you there!

Music: Camille, L'Amour
Quote: "Little by little, one travels far." -J. R. R. Tolkien

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"(...)followed by another female voice almost to soft to hear that WE are in a state of war(...)"
They seriously say that they're in a state of war? And calling 911 for every unattended bag? Damn, they've gone really paranoid there. I'm glad you're save. Are you going to send me the book I lend to you when you're done travelling?

8/19/2006 12:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gevulde koek. jummie.

yummeh teh yummeh indeed.

penneh fer yer thoughts on life & its way of throwing a talented person from 'ere te there 'n back again.

the more oy read ur stuff oy wanna tell u te sit ur pretteh behind down n stay fer a bit. then again, to each is own 'fcourse an' there'll be time enough te sit down later on, shudn't waste ur talent.

Oy guess it dusnt realleh matter does't?

... 's long as ur happeh ...

8/20/2006 1:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home